My brother and me, like many other siblings were the WWE champions of our family. The better part was, nobody would stop us from fighting with each other. Whoever intervenes may get a better share of hits and bites and kicks from both of us. Instead,the one who see us fighting would run to the front gate and say, “Nirthanda, Nirthanda! Achan varunnund. Avidunnum koodi kittiitt nirthiyaa mathi”! ?
Immediately, we would settle back to the discipline mode. When achan comes back from office that day, we will be sitting with a pile of books in front and reading the lessons louder at the top of our voice. So that, even if somebody spies to him about our fight he would not believe them. Because of our peculiar sibling love, our parents started sending one among us to ammoomma’s house on friday evenings. And mostly, that would be me, the most notorious! ?
Clever move, isn’t it??
As I said before, my appooppan(grand father) used to make delicious fish curry. Ammoomma’s fishcurry had very less demand and everyone wanted appooppan to make it. But when kanava(squid) was the fish for the day, even appoppan would ask ammoomma to make her delicious kanava / squid thoran for lunch. I have got the recipe from amma who claims this is her own recipe, but i won’t believe. My bestie from college have tasted this straight from amma’s meenchatti and it is a sweet memory that we cherish every time we meet. She had requested this recipe and I dedicate this to her.
- Kanava/Squid- 250grms(select the tastey ones carefully)
- Finely chopped onions- 1 small
- Chopped green chillies-2
- Crushed shallots-5
- Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp or more.
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind- pea size
- Pepper powder-1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut-2 tbsp
- Garlic-ginger paste-1/4 tsp
- Oil and curry leaves for seasonig.
- Salt to taste.
- Take the ingredients shown in the picture in a pan or meen chatti.
- Add water enough to dip the squid pieces. Add tamarind juice and salt. Cook the squid properly keeping the lid on for a while, and reduce the water content by boiling with the lid open. Too much cooking will make the squid rubbery. So keep a watch on the squid pieces.
- Coarse grind the coconut with pepper powder, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder.
- Saute the onions, green chillies and curry leaves in little oil.
- Add the grated coconut mixture to the cooked squid.
- Add the sauteed onions to the cooked squid.
- Mix up everything. Pour one more teaspoon of coconut oil and keep cooking in low flame for two more minutes.
- Serve hot.
This is going to be a great dish provided, the fish itself is fresh and tastey. I cannot call it an easy recipe, but you will definitely love this!