We are having a short vacation right now. Good that the season is rainy now. It is noon and still raining. I can sense a mouth watering aromas from the kitchen. Amma is preparing erachi choru today with chicken. Jebu is busy playing with amma’s sauce pans, spoons and laddles. She is pretending to make tea every now and then and serving amma in her toy kitchen set.
I am comfortably sitting in the dining hall doing nothing and watching rain. When amma calls me, I just go in and take snaps of the different stages of the recipe. When she said she was going to prepare this for lunch, I said let us make some rice and curry which takes lesser time so that she gets to spend more time with the little one. Because, she gets to spend time with Jebu only on weekends. Amma replied, meat rice is easy to make and comparatively less time consuming than normal rice and three side dishes( which is her minimum).
So, this is totally Amma’s recipe. I am just jotting down the steps and pictures. It is really tastey and easy. I think, this would taste the best when made with mutton. We have used chicken here.
what you need:
- Meat- 250grms
- Jeera rice-2 cups
- Chopped onion- 1 big size
- Garlic- 10 cloves
- Ginger-2 inches
- Green chilli-2
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/4 tsp
- Pepper- 1 1/2 tsp
- Lemon- 1/2 portion
- Salt to taste
- Butter or oil.
- Roasted Onions, cashews and raisins for garnishing.
- Soak jeera rice for twenty minutes.
- Make a paste with ingredients 4-9.
- Saute chopped onions in butter/oil for few minutes. Later, add the ground paste. Saute again.
- Add the meat pieces and salt and cook 80% by adding one and half cup water. Squeeze in the lemon.
- Add rice and cook until done with the lid on. Adjust water accordingly.
- Fry the onions and roast the nuts and raisins( we have not added any here, but it is recommended).
- Pour the seasoning on top of the erachi choru( meat rice). Let it stand for a while.
- Serve hot with curd or salad.
Try this out soon!